Follow on Bloglovin

Tuesday, August 21

working on a make-up counter

hey everyone,
i know I've been gone for like ages!! (more the a week)

but i have been super busy, i have been juggling 3 jobs and having NO days off a week, so its been very hard for me, butt i have decided to give up the bar job i was doing, for different reasons, and now i will have more time to big (this is not the reason i gave the job up but it will be nice to have some free time)

so i thought i would do abit of a different post for you all, i am working on a beauty counter in a big store in Birmingham  its only temporary but im hoping to make it permanent, and i cant tell you where, ive probably said once but i cant repeat it lol, im not allowed,

anyway, because all of us beauty bloggers love make-up, and some of us want to work on a beauty counter, i thought i would give you a rough idea of what it is about,
so if you would like to work on one and don't know much about it, or just like to read my blog posts then keep on reading :D




so i will do a quick overview then do some pro's and cons:
so the first thing i should point out that when you apply for a beauty counter you have to do it through the company, not the place that its in (say like debenhams) and more then likely its on a website, so access to a computer is good, when you get hired they then get you to go on a separate interview for the department store, to see if they like you and want you to work in there.

But everything is separate, you don't get paid by the store or are managed by the store, everything goes through the counter manager. Confusing i know. Some department stores trust you with cashing up the till and getting stock out, some don't. I've worked in a couple now and it is very different from one to the next.
Sometimes you get a department store discount card (like boots) sometimes you don't.

The hours are pretty much the same as a normal job, although you are more then likely required to work every weekend, unless you've asked for the time off. You do get a decent break, sometimes more than the required amount by law, I've never had a job that gave me more then 20 mins break so this was a big shock to me, i didn't know what to do with myself.
Make-up counters are more then likely to be in bigger cities, or you will get more chances of getting a job in the bigger cities, so you may need to think about commuting if you really want the job.

Some work of commission, some don't, you need to work out which company you prefer and whether you can handle reaching targets or not, but you get more money for the targets (obviously). You will either get a
big discount on the products or for free, sometimes both.


so pro's:

  • because its a big company you get proper break times
  • you work for the company not the department store
  • not long hours
  • good pay rate
  • bonuses if you hit commission targets
  • sometimes free stuff, or highly discounted products
  • you get holiday pay and the right amount of holiday time off
  • interact with people on a daily basis
  • wide variety of people come to the counter
con's:

  • most of the jobs are in big cities
  • head office, and HR are hard to get hold of
  • some company's are on commission
  • your on your feet for 7 hours
  • you may have to think about commuting over long distances
  • you have to only wear their make-up products on your face, easy if you have them, if you don't can be alot of money
  • you ALWAYS have to looks smart, (so you cant go drinking the night before)

ok, i think thats it, please tell me if you enjoyed this post?


15 comments:

  1. I'd love to work on a beauty counter. I've tried 3 so far and no luck :( I'm willing to do anything to work on one.
    You're very lucky. Great post :D

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a good post :D i'd love to work on a make-up counter <3 who wouldn't!? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i know, i think everyone would haha, and why wouldnt you its amazing experience

      Delete
  3. I loved working at a beauty counter. It never really felt like work to me. All my down time was spent playing with makeup which is what I love to do anyways! lol Great Post!
    -Amber
    http://beautyguide101.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah i love it, it doesnt feel like work, you get to play with make-up all day long, what beauty blogger wouldnt like tht

      Delete
  4. I worked at the cosmetics counter at walgreen's a long time ago, but I don't think that counts! LOL! ;)
    I followed you from the blog hop! I hope you'll follow me back! :)
    http://nailpolishinmyeyes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting post! I work as a style consultant within a department store and am friends with a few of the people who work at the makeup counters and always wondered what is was like to be one of them lol. This certainly gave me some insight! =)

    <3 Amanda,
    http://geekyfashionista.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooo a style consultant sounds intersting, is that like a personal shopper? bet thats a cool job :D

      Delete
  6. mmm even though i love make up.....working on a beauty counter would never be my thing.....im a creative so always need to be designer stuff, standing around for hours on end trying to sell cosmetics would kill me!!
    You must be exhausted with 3 jobs!!!
    Found you via the Blog Love Therapy blog hop - and followed xx
    http://toxylicious.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, yeah i dont think every beauty blogger would like this job, and yes i was exhasted, thats why i had to give one up, but im used to standing up all day, i used to stand up for a good 14 hours with no break, so is easy for me lol

      Delete
  7. Hi! I'm Deb, and I found your blog through BBU Blog Hop. I'm following, and would love if you checked out my blog and followed back. Beauty-ninja.blogspot.com. Thanks bunches! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very interesting post!!

    Found you on BBU blog hop. :) x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've just applied for a few beauty counter jobs (:
    This has been uber helpful, thanks so so much
    xxx

    www.littleboblab.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post, I have always wanted to work on a counter but the commission element scares me.

    http://samram1214.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Please Dont Forget To Subscribe. Thankyou for leaving your comments, They are all read. dont hesitate to email me at MissPenelope90@gmail.com if you have any questions. XX